Thursday, October 18, 2007

Digital Monoprint


Awhile back I visited a monoprint class that Mr. Mofongo was attending at the former Atlanta College of Art. The teacher was gracious enough to let me do a plate and try it out. Look for that in the next post. Fast forward to last year: I had the idea to try the same technique of extracting an image out of a solid dark color with varying photoshop brushes and the eraser tool. I finally had the time to sit down and try it out. I think it turned out ok for a first attempt. The undo feature is a great tool here to test out different tones and mark making, but unfortunately this method doesn't allow for the spontaneous effects and things that are inherent in pulling ink off a plexiglass plate. Still, it's a pretty neat effect and I'm sure lots can be simulated with the right brushes and texture overlays. Definitely something to keep trying and experimenting with...

No comments: